[babel-devel] Re: Babel release?

Luís Oliveira luismbo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 15:49:36 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 1:54 PM, David Lichteblau <david at lichteblau.com> wrote:
>  the next cxml release (due in a few weeks or so) will depend on Babel.
>  (Thanks for Babel, it's great.)

Interesting, did you tie Runes together with Babel?

FYI, I'm trying to get my act together with regard to releasing the
software I'm working on. Since CFFI will probably depend on Babel
soon, I'm trying to come up with a (2, 3 month?) release cycle for
both, possibly synchronized with SBCL's cycle as well.

I'm considering using versioned depencies in the .asd to avoid having
people use incompatible versions of both libraries (assuming that
works well, since I've never actually tried it), though I'll have to
think about it a bit more to see if it's a worthwhile idea.

That, however, wouldn't completely solve the problem of handling
backward-incompatible changes (somewhat unlikely in Babel's case since
its API is fairly straightforward, but still...). Assuming X.Y.Z
version numbers and a policy of incrementing Y when
backwards-incompatible changes are made, it would help if ASDF would
let us depend on specific X.Y versions with only Z varying.
Unfortunely, without the ability to run multiple versions of one
library in the same image, this would start falling apart pretty
quickly if other projects start depending on specific versions of,
say, CFFI and CXML.

>  Can you make an asdf-installable Babel tarball until then?

Done. Released the latest code as version 0.1.0.

--
Luís Oliveira
http://student.dei.uc.pt/~lmoliv/