[aspectl-announce] AspectL 0.6 released

Pascal Costanza costanza at web.de
Tue Jul 27 19:17:26 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have just released AspectL 0.6 on its website at
http://www.common-lisp.net/project/aspectl/

The most notable improvement is that I have successfully ported AspectL
to a number of Common Lisp implementations beyond LispWorks. It now
runs on the following implementations:

- Allegro Common Lisp (with minor restrictions)
- CMU CL
- LispWorks
- OpenMCL (but not special generic functions)
- SBCL

Apart from some internal changes, porting AspectL to those other
platforms has required one important design change. In AspectL 0.5,
special generic function had to be defined like this:

(defgeneric some-function (some-parameters)
   (:generic-function-class special-generic-function))

Now, they have to be defined like that:

(define-special-function some-function (some-parameters)
   (:definer some-function*))

You have to provide two names: The first name must be used for calling
a special function whereas the second name (the "definer") must be used
for defining methods. This avoids some deep problems I have faced when
trying to sneak in additional information in the generic function
invocation protocol of the CLOS MOP. In all other respects,
define-special-function acts like defgeneric.

For further details, see the release notes.

Pascal

--
Tyler: "How's that working out for you?"
Jack: "Great."