[asdf-install-devel] Patches, Darcs, 'n' stuff

Dan Muller pikdj2002 at sneakemail.com
Sun Nov 25 17:19:19 UTC 2007

Dan Muller writes:

> I just figured out how to run the test suite included with
> ASDF-INSTALL, and now I'm trying to figure out what the two failures
> are that I'm getting.

Cool. I debugged a number of problems with the help of the unit
tests. In fact, when I have time to unravel it from my other local
changes, I may have a patch for Windows/Lispworks to fix argument
quoting for the tar command (actually making quoting unnecessary).

It looks like test TEST-1 of test suite SPACE-IN-WORKING-DIRECTORY is
rarely going to succeed on Windows, because its success criterion is
that the symlink file is created. Wouldn't it make more sense to
assume success if the system was successfully loaded? From running the
tests, I realize that this can be a bit misleading, though, since ASDF
has persistent state about what systems are defined and where they are
-- I suppose it's possible for it to load a system from someplace
other than the test's installation location. Not sure how to address
that without reaching into ASDF's internals. An ASDF:UNREGISTER-SYTEM
would be welcome, similar to MK-DEFSYSTEM's.

The only other test that's failing for me now is TEST-1 of
DIRECT-INSTALL. Haven't started debugging that one yet.

I'm running these tests using my earlier patch for tar extraction,
with the alternative extractor in place.

Now that I know more, I agree even more with Andy's desire to have
integral gzip/tar extraction.

I could publish my darcs repository so people could pull some of this
stuff directly for experimentation. Any interest? That would take me a
while to set up, so I won't bother if I nobody else is really working
on ASDF-INSTALL and using darcs.

--
Dan Muller