[asdf-install-devel] Bugs? install-package, defsystem

Dan Muller pikdj2002 at sneakemail.com
Sun Nov 18 23:48:21 UTC 2007

I've been trying to test ASDF-INSTALL using CL-BASE64, a nice, small
package. I have both DEFSYSTEM 3.6i and ASDF installed.

Downloading and untarring goes fine, using the patch that I offered
earlier. I had problems with the internal function INSTALL-PACKAGE --
for some reason, with LispWorks Personal 5.0.1, when
*DEFAULT-PATHNAME-DEFAULTS* is bound, DIRECTORY returns NIL. I changed
the method to bind a local variable PATH and pass that to
MAKE-PATHNAME as the default instead of binding
*DEFAULT-PATHNAME-DEFAULTS*. I'm don't know why the standard global
was bound, anyway, since it was also explicitly passed to
MAKE-PATHNAME, but maybe it served a purpose that I don't understand,
perhaps on another platform?

In any case, that change got me a bit farther. Specifically, it got me
as far as ASDF-INSTALL::LOAD-PACKAGE, which blows up on the call to
MK:LOAD-SYSTEM. CL-BASE64 has no .system file, you see. As far as I
can tell, the logic when both ASDF and DEFSYSTEM are present is kind
of half-baked; ASDF-INSTALL tries to load each package using both
systems, via LOAD-PACKAGE. Am I missing something here?

--
Dan Muller