[asdf-install-devel] Dealing with tar on Windows.

Andy Cristina acristin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 21:12:18 UTC 2007

Actually, I'm suggesting ripping off Edi Weitz' lispworks program that
basically does asdf-install for windows with a gui.  There is a lisp
implementation of tar and gzip, with specific changes to make it work
with lispworks (which we could probably change to work on any lisp),
and his program simply downloads asdf packages and does the windows
stuff to make them all accessable (see old Bill Clementson blogs for
short programs which go through a directory tree adding all
directories to the asdf:central-repository, needed due to lack of
symlinks).

Personally, I'd prefer not using cygwin ever again, but others
probably don't feel too strongly.  I know that there are some win32
gnu tars that mostly work, and someone had posted on comp.lang.lisp
about getting asdf-install to work with bsd tar (basically he had
modified the output parsing part of asdf-install).  I'll look into the
tar/gzip in lisp stuff when I get some free time and do a prototype
asdf-install with them, targetting sbcl on windows and linux.