[asdf-install-devel] Minor problem installing ASDF-Install

Scott L.Burson Scott at sympoiesis.com
Mon May 28 16:05:31 UTC 2007

On May 28, 2007, at 6:45 AM, Gary King wrote:

> Please let me know if you have any other problems with the portable
> version of ASDF-Install. Also, what wasn't working in SBCL's version?

Here's what I sent them yesterday.

-- Scott

------ Begin message to sbcl-devel at lists.sourceforge.net ------

Hi,

Today I was creating an ASDF-Installable package for my newly
released functional collections library (http://common-lisp.net/
project/fset/), and tested by installing it with SBCL, and ran into
some problems with ASDF-Install:

() The worst was that my `defsystem' form, in the `.asd' file, was
written in such a way as to generate two `asdf:missing-dependency'
signals for the same subsystem, and a bug in `asdf-install:install'
caused the subsystem's package file to be downloaded twice, wherein
the `open' call failed the second time with a "file exists" error.
(I was able to work around this by rewriting my `defsystem' form to
use `:serial t', but it still seemed worth fixing.)

() A minor annoyance was that when the `key-not-found' error was
signalled telling me I need to do `gpg --recv-keys', and I did so,
there was no convenient way to continue; I had to abort the
installation and start over.

() Along with that, there were two cosmetic problems with the `key-
not-found' message: first, the hex key fingerprints were prefixed
with "0x", which was superfluous, and second, `*print-circle*' needed
to be bound to `nil' for the message not to be pointlessly confusing
since the fingerprint is printed twice.

I enclose a patch for ASDF-Install that fixes all these problems.

-- Scott