[asdf-install-devel] ASDF-Install move

Gary King gwking at metabang.com
Thu May 18 13:18:27 UTC 2006

The version now on Common-Lisp.net has been radically restructured
and also has several patches and improvements. The restructuring just
pulls various related forms out of installer.lisp and into their own
homes. Mostly, this was to help me organize and maintain it. The
improvements include:

* More restarts involving the GPG key verification process so that,
for example, you can switch to another process, retrieve a key and
then try again.

* ASDF-Install now prints its version string when it is first loaded
(it's at 0.5.2).

* I've tried to simplify the #+ / #- madness. There is still a ways
to go for this to be complete.

* Note that ASDF-Install now only installs the packages you request
and their required dependencies. Earlier versions would install the
package associated with every system definition that it downloaded.

* There is a new keyword argument for the install command. If  you
specify :propagate t, then install will try to get the latest version
of every package required during the installation. If propagate is
nil (the default and previous behavior), then ASDF will only download
the requested package and any that you do not yet have. It will not
download any packages that you have already installed. Note that ASDF-
Install still isn't doing any useful version checking, but being able
to ask for everything fresh seems like a useful stopgap measure.

Please let me know if anything goes astray.
--
Gary Warren King
metabang.com