Rejiggering the branches

Wilfredo Velazquez zulu.inuoe at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 11:17:55 UTC 2021

Maybe I'm a bit naive, but what about a setup like:

main - development happens against this as PRs and so on

When you do a release, tag it against this branch.

For the topic of people staying on 3.3 or whatever version they prefer: if
such a situation were to actually happen, that they submit a fix that
specifically patches a bug in 3.3, you can create a hotfix branch rooted at
that tagged version.
Meaning, don't create a branch until you need one.

The risk of course is having greatly diverging features added to some older
version, but I'd like to hope that after however many decades, ASDF is at
least mature enough that something like that wouldn't happen and only
hotfixes would be applied to those release branches, if any at all.

Finally, if you truly desire a 'stable' equivalent (releases only), simply
move development from 'main' to 'dev', and only fast forward 'main' to
'dev' when a stable release happens.

eg

dev - development branch, changes voa prs, patches, etc

main - stable releases branch. fast forwarded to (or merge-commited) 'dev'
when a release occurs.

tag every release. If somebody in the future finds a hotfix in some old
version, create a branch at that tag.

But that's just my two cents. Best of luck