Helper function to dump REPL-optimized core

Pierre Neidhardt mail at ambrevar.xyz
Tue Nov 17 19:36:38 UTC 2020

Hi Robert,

Thanks again for the feedback.

"Robert Goldman" <rpgoldman at sift.info> writes:

> What I would recommend is to set up a fake component type for the host
> system, and then the system definition will automatically detect a
> change.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean with this, can you elaborate a
little bit?

> The difficulty would be having the host system version be recorded in
> the filesystem so that ASDF can see it.
>
> I'd suggest you have an operation that reads a file with a version
> number in it, and updates that file if the SBCL version number has
> increased.  Then if ASDF sees that the file's date is new, it will know
> that SBCL has been updated and rebuild everything.
>
> But... that requires comparing dates on input and output files, so you
> might need a *pair* of such files that you rotate -- you read the input
> file, and then write an output file, and ASDF will compare the dates on
> the two and decide whether it needs to update.

If I understand you correctly, in the first link I've sent there is
an Emacs snippet that does that:

https://github.com/joaotavora/sly/pull/366/files

It works, but the point is that ideally all users should not have to
roll their own trick: it would be greaet if ASDF (because it's the
common denominator of all Lisp implementations) would provide a helper
that does this job, thus saving some hassle to the users.

Does that make sense?
Interested in your thoughts.

Cheers!

--