A CFFI -ASDF integration bug

Ilya Perminov iperminov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 17:02:53 UTC 2020

I think protobuf and CFFI structure their operations in a very similar way
- process-op is analogous to proto-to-lisp, it takes a "specification" file
and generates a lisp file and some other files. protobuf generates
lisp(fasl) files only, so it does not need to do anything special to
support bundle operations. CFFI's process-op generates some .o and .so
files that a  bundle operation may need. The current implementation adds .o
and .so files to outputs of compile-op and it causes the problem I
described.
I do not know what methods need to be defined on process-op to make bundle
operations to pick up its output files. From my very limited understanding
of ASDF I do not think there is a way to do it. Method
"component-depends-on ((o gather-operation) (s system))" determines
input-files of a bundle-op. The method returns dependencies of one
operation only (e.g. compile-op), but in case of CFFI's wrapper-file we
need output files of two operations: process-op and compile-op.