trouble with upgrade of asdf and versions

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 23:00:37 UTC 2019

CLISP has adopted ASDF 3 a few years back in their source code repo
(currently at 3.1.7 from 2016), but since they haven't released since
2010 and many distributions stick to the "latest release", CLISP often
comes with no ASDF, or sometimes an ancient version of ASDF from 2011,
at which point Quicklisp installs its own ancient version of ASDF 2.26
from 2012.

Upgrading from 2.26 to 3.x is only supported if done very early in the
build. If for some reason you're doing it mid-build, things are going
to break badly. I recommend using a recent Lisp with a recent ASDF. If
you really need CLISP rather than say SBCL or CCL, please use a recent
checkout rather than the "so stable it's dead" release from 2010.

Another potential hack is to replace the ~/quicklisp/asdf.lisp by a
recent one and clear the quicklisp cache (in ~/quicklisp/cache/ I
presume but I'm not sure). Or, if CLISP comes with an asdf.fas
somehow, replace it with one compile-file'd from a recent ASDF.

Happy hacking!

— Question authority!
— Yeah, says who?