test-op and dependencies

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Tue Oct 1 02:18:37 UTC 2019

On 30 Sep 2019, at 6:26, Anton Vodonosov wrote:

> How test-op is expected to deal with tests in dependency libraries?
>
> If my application depends on several libraries, which in turn depend
> on others,
> when a user of my application asdf system runs test-op, is it expected
> to only run
> tests of the application itself? Of my test-op implementation should
> explicitly load and call tests of all dependencies?
>
> I think it's better to recommend test-op implementations to run only
> tests of this system itself and ASDF could provide a "recursive test
> op",
> which runs tests on the whole dependency tree.

Yes, you are right. In general, we do not expect `TEST-OP` to propagate
to dependencies.  But there may be systems that have sub-systems, in
which case the programmer might want propagation.  This can be achieved
with `in-order-to`.  Indeed, my systems, `foo` typically have a coupled
subsystem `foo/test`, with `(in-order-to (test-op (test-op
"foo/test")))` (that syntax is just from memory; could be wrong).

Typically, I don't build the tests into the system under test, in order
to avoid spurious dependencies on test libraries.

Best,