Lowercase naming requirement for systems?

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Sun Feb 17 16:28:47 UTC 2019

Another reason is that we allow the programmer to refer to systems with
symbols as well as strings, and symbols are not -- without a substantial
nuisance -- case-sensitive.

I'm afraid you are better off with "solve-solvable2".  And avoid
"solve_solvable" because underscores are not legal characters in logical
pathnames.

Best,

On 17 Feb 2019, at 8:24, Robert P. Goldman wrote:

> Quick response for now: yes, lowercase naming is a requirement. There
> are a number of reasons for this, including the fact that CL's logical
> pathnames are case-insensitive.
>
> Best,
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Feb 17, 2019, at 01:21, Robert Dodier <robert.dodier at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The ASDF manual says that the name of a system is a lowercase string.
>> Is that actually a requirement?
>>
>> I was trying to create an .asd system which has a name with mixed
>> upper- and lowercase characters and the system is stored in a file of
>> the same name on a case-sensitive file system (Linux). But I get
>> "Component Foo not found" for that. If I change the name of the
>> system
>> and the name of the file to lowercase, the system is found.
>>
>> For the record, I've pasted the would-be mixed-case named system
>> below. It contains stuff that will make it generally unloadable since
>> you don't have my maxima-file hackery. If it turns out we need to go
>> into this in more detail, I will devise a more minimal example. But
>> first maybe someone can say what the name requirement is.
>>
>> best,
>>
>> Robert Dodier
>>
>> PS.
>> (defsystem "SolveSolvable2"
>>  :defsystem-depends-on ("maxima-file")
>>  :author "Yasuaki Honda"
>>  :license "GNU Lesser General Public License, version 2"
>>  :description "Program SolveSolvable2 of GaloisGroupSolver, a Maxima
>> package for solving polynomials based on their Galois Groups"
>>
>>  :components
>>    ((:maxima-file "Gal")
>>     (:maxima-file "FiniteGroup")
>>     (:maxima-file "ExtendedField")
>>     (:maxima-file "Stage3")
>>     (:maxima-file "Verify")
>>     (:maxima-file "SolveSolvable2")))

Robert P. Goldman
Research Fellow
Smart Information Flow Technologies (d/b/a SIFT, LLC)

319 N. First Ave., Suite 400
Minneapolis, MN 55401

Voice:	(612) 326-3934
Email:    rpgoldman at SIFT.net