Best Practice for an ASDF Variable Like *compile-file-failure-behaviour*

Mark H. David mhd at yv.org
Fri Mar 9 22:12:27 UTC 2018

As has been discussed here over the years,  asdf:*compile-file-failure-behaviour* is :warn on most platforms, but it is notoriously :error on #+sbcl. So what would you do if you wanted to change asdf:*compile-file-failure-behaviour* to be :warn on #+SBCL? How would you recommend to change it. Where?

I don't want to really have to impose an init file on everyone.  Also, I don't really want to necessarily make this global across every use of ASDF, but let's say I just want it to apply to one main system and all subsystems loaded as part of this.

I cannot think of anything better than a top-level setq in the .asd file of the system, something like this?

#+sbcl
(setq asdf:*compile-file-failure-behaviour* :warn)

What else can one do that's any better?

Maybe there's a less crude way, like something like an around method that wraps around the compile/load.  I'm really just barely a novice user, so I'm sorry this if this is such a naive question.  If there's a simple example one could provide or point me to that does this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mark