Testing for ASDF 3.3.2 and beyond?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 03:45:28 UTC 2018

>> Maybe it's an artefact of SBCL using too much memory *while compiling*
>> and would go away if you used e.g. POIU to compile inside forks.
>
> How?

"Just" load POIU right after you load ASDF, and before you load anything else.
https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/qitab/poiu

> The test order is alphabetical (by projects, and then inside a project
> its ASDF systems are sorted alphabetically too).
>
> Fasls compiled by previous tests are reused by next tests.

OK, this *might* explain some cases of "succeeds the second time around".
I suggest always making a second try after a timeout or out-of-memory error.

> Yes, I plan to start syntax-control testing soon.

Thanks!

> You might be interested to know that ACL binds *readtable* on startup to an unmodifieble readtable
> (which is a violation of CLHS http://clhs.lisp.se/Body/02_aac.htm :
> "The initial readtable is distinct from the standard readtable. It is permissible for a conforming program to modify the initial readtable.")
>
> The most visible result of this is puri and more than 150 other systems in Quicklisp depending on it, failing to load.

Well, that's a good argument for fixing puri & al, regardless of what
option ASDF picks in the future.
And maybe a good argument for making ASDF strict all the time on all
implementations that allow it.

Death is only a milestone — albeit one that is dropped on you
from a very great height
        — Terry Pratchett.