Testing for ASDF 3.3.2 and beyond?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 02:33:05 UTC 2018

>> Often failures in cl-test-grid are "just" the result of using too
>> little memory,
>
> not little memory, but SBCL's conservative (i.e. imprecise) garbage
> collection - it doesn't always recognize that an object is a garbage.
>
> I saw cases where CCL compiles a project under a 100MB heap,
> while SBCL reproducibly runs out of 1GB heap.

Maybe it's an artefact of SBCL using too much memory *while compiling*
and would go away if you used e.g. POIU to compile inside forks.

>> or batching system loads,
>
> There is no batch loading, each test is run in a fresh CL process.

Interesting. The memory load might still be sensitive to compilation
order, if you reuse fasls shared with previous builds versus rebuild
new ones.

>> or some other reason, and
>> have to be retried.
>
> I would put it differently: some failures may be ignored because
> on the previous version they were successful by a chance,
> and could faile the same way too.

OK.

PS: The newer test results look good. I'd like to see the results with
the syntax-control branch, though. There also are a few minor bug
fixes in the pipe that mean we'll have to re-test before release,
anyway.

Foolishness is rarely a matter of lack of intelligence or even lack of
information.  — John McCarthy