Issues with package location information on SBCL

Eric Timmons etimmons at mit.edu
Sat Feb 17 05:30:25 UTC 2018

I've started testing ASDF 3.3.1.3 with my group's code on SBCL 1.4.4
and noticed some issues with uiop:define-package (due to commit
8281e011).

First, when compiling ASDF I get 456 compilation notes
(https://pastebin.com/NnRUKGWe). I get the same notes when using
uiop:define-package in our code as well. I honestly think this is an
issue of SBCL being over aggressive. It's also odd because if the
recording of the source location is removed, then the notes aren't
produced. It appears this started happening in SBCL 1.4.1 (potentially
due to commit af5e2ed1e).

The volume of notes (especially when using package-inferred-system)
can drown out real issues. I'll likely report this as an issue to SBCL
since the keywords *should* be constant and the source transform for
apply doesn't seem to be preserving that. However, it could also be
fixed in ASDF by changing the apply to a funcall in the define-package
expansion (patch 2).

Second, the comma on (sb-c:source-location) seems to cause the source
location for the package to always point to the body of the
define-package macro. Patch 1 changes this so that form is evaluated
after the macro is expanded. I didn't test this on anything earlier
than SBCL 1.4.4, but I don't believe this behavior is version
dependent.

-Eric