hu.dwim.zlib broke; broken operation-done-p

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 00:01:04 UTC 2018

>: Attila

> what if i make the .spec generation a standalone operation that needs
> to be explicitly run by the library author?

I think that's indeed the right thing to do.

> it's a bit more burden for
> the lib author because he needs to keep track of changes to the
> configuration and/or the .h file, but that would implicitly fix one of
> the bugs.

He needs to, anyway, as he writes the wrappers for the library.

> https://github.com/cffi/cffi/commit/d59331b050fb31f3a3f9103f302890be176b77ce
LGTM.

> and shall i do the same with the next stage, namely the .lisp file
> generation? for some reason i think it's better to keep that automatic
> and integrated into the normal flow of the build process, but i'm not
> fully convinced about that either.

Generating the Lisp file in advance is good if it allows you to avoid
you could save the Lisp files and drop the spec files.

> if i did that, it would annull the last remaining issue, namely the
> current unlucky
>
> (load-op ,(find-system "cffi/c2ffi-generator"))
>
> dependency.

Indeed, that would be slightly nicer on ASDF.

> but the price would be high: either users would need to regenerate
> .lisp files by hand each time they pull changes to the .spec file
> (this is unacceptable), or all libs would need to check in also the
> generated .lisp files into their repos (this is less of a
> constraint/burden, but still...).
>
> any thoughts?

If you generate the Lisp files, do you need to check in the .spec files?

- We're all different.
- I'm not!