Oddities in ECL tests on Linux

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Thu Aug 23 20:22:26 UTC 2018

My Jenkins job is failing to test ECL successfully.  What's interesting
is that it looks like the tests are successful, but the checker is
failing.  Here's what I see in the transcript:

These two expressions fail comparison with EQUAL:
 (UIOP/UTILITY:NEST (LISP-INVOCATION/LISP-INVOCATION:INVOKE-LISP :IMPLEMENTATION-TYPE (LISP-INVOCATION/ALLEGRO-VARIANTS:CURRENT-LISP-VARIANT) :CROSS-COMPILE NIL :IMAGE-PATH (UIOP/FILESYSTEM:NATIVE-NAMESTRING ASDF-TEST::IMG) :CONSOLE T :EVAL "(uiop:restore-image :entry-point 'hello:entry-point :lisp-interaction nil)" :RUN-PROGRAM-ARGS '(:OUTPUT :LINES :ERROR-OUTPUT T))) evaluates to ("No restarts available." "" "Top level in: #<process TOP-LEVEL>." "> ")
 '("hello, world") evaluates to ("hello, world")

Oddly, when I try to run this at the command line, ECL throws to the
interactive debugger on various signals and I have to restart it, before

make test l=ecl

will terminate successfully.

I think I have seen this before, and it may be that ECL implicitly
assumes that there will be some kind of C compilation tool chain present
that I don't have, but I'm not sure about that.

Suggestions for debugging would be welcom.