Problems with DEFSYSTEM-DEPENDS-ON

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Mon Apr 9 21:23:40 UTC 2018

I think Xach and I are trying to cope with essentially the same problem:
lack of resources for a community project.

On the one hand, Xach wants to stick with and old ASDF because it's a
lot of trouble to maintain it, and he's afraid of breakage.

OTOH, we don't have the resources to maintain backwards-compatibility in
ASDF (though we try not to break things gratuitously).  Keeping ancient
unmaintained software running at the cost of introducing complexity into
ASDF is something I simply can't do (when I transfer maintenance to
Microsoft, they'll have that covered!).

Faré has worked heroically (with admirable assistance from Anton
Vodonosv) to keep from breaking libraries and offering patches, but at
the end of the day, if there's no one available to merge patches into
new releases of libraries, that can't be a reason to veto introduction
of a fix into ASDF.  If there's no one available to change `foo-test`
into `foo/test` in `crusty-library.asd` that's not really our fault (and
really, should people be using `crusty-library.asd` if there isn't?).
Naturally, that has the potential to make Xach's life miserable.  It's
not my fault or his.

When there's stuff like `crusty-library` out there, there will be a
certain amount of misery to be had, and there will always be a tension
between QL and ASDF about who gets to enjoy it.

I wish that I could coordinate more effectively with Xach, but I really
don't know what I can do to make this work better.

Best,