[E] new compiler error re: SET-DISPATCH-MACRO-CHARACTER

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Fri Oct 13 16:01:07 UTC 2017

On 12 Oct 2017, at 12:09, 73budden . wrote:

> This tracing tool should help a lot.
>
> I believe this tool should be supplied by asdf team. Even I begin to
> be more positive towards efforts of ASDF team to clean up all the mess
> that was in ASDF initially, but obviously society is not quite happy
> with breaking changes, so some small tool with a good manual would
> make life easier.

This will probably not happen for a while -- my work on other aspects,
and just staying on top of bugs and testing takes most of the available
time.

But I think I can provide pieces of a recipe for this kind of debugging
and if someone out there could give feedback, I will see to it that the
recipe gets into the manual.

I think if you want to see the plan that ASDF produces to perform a
requested operation, you should use something like:
```
(setf *plan* (asdf/plan:make-plan nil (make-operation 'load-op)
(find-system "sysname")))
```

Then, to figure out what's happening, I would suggest
```
(trace asdf:operation-done-p)
```
...to see if ASDF is wrong about whether or not it needs to do some
operations.

Then I would try something like tracing `PERFORM`.

I'd have to think a little about what to do if `MAKE-PLAN` gives you a
plan you don't expect.

cheers,