Upgrade failures for asdf-3.1.7 and later

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu May 4 19:34:21 UTC 2017

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 2:35 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:
> On 5/4/17 May 4 -1:17 PM, James M. Lawrence wrote:
>> As I said, LispWorks PE provides an old ASDF. To verify this,
>>
>> * download LispWorks Personal Edition
>> * launch it
>> * (require "asdf")
>> * (asdf:asdf-version)
>>
>> Again, I am writing on behalf of users, not myself personally. I don't
>> use LispWorks PE or any LispWorks version for development. Others use
>> LispWorks PE. Some do so to evaluate not only LispWorks but Common
>> Lisp as a language. It seemed reasonable to prevent them from getting
>> into a borked state, if possible (and not too difficult or annoying).
>
> I'm not sure what is the proper solution.  Should we detect this kind of
> condition and raise an error if ASDF is not reconfigured after an upgrade?

Indeed it sports ASDF 2.019.

The proper solution is to tell the user to use the
asdf/tools/install-asdf.lisp script to replace that ancient ASDF with
a more recent one. See manual section "Replacing your implementation's
ASDF".

Alternatively, tell Quicklisp to not use ASDF 2.26 but ASDF 3.1.7.

You can also lobby LispWorks so they make an update to their personal edition.

In any case, friends don't let novices use the central-registry.

What someone says often fails to inform us about the (rest of the)
world, but always informs us about the utterer.