Upgrade failures for asdf-3.1.7 and later

James M. Lawrence llmjjmll at gmail.com
Thu May 4 13:54:22 UTC 2017

LispWorks PE bundles an old asdf, which is loaded with (require "asdf").

CLISP optionally bundles asdf -- (require "asdf") -- and I would
expect some Linux distributions to have that configuration in the
CLISP they supply. (require "asdf") also looks in directories
(including the user home directory!) for asdf.lisp, so an old version
could be unintentionally loaded. My real concern is LispWorks, though.

Maybe this wasn't clear enough, but my communications here are on
behalf of users, not me. Many -- perhaps most, perhaps nearly all --
people use asdf only indirectly through Quicklisp. I am trying to help
the poor end-user who has a borked system and doesn't understand what
is wrong. I would like to prevent the borkedness from happening in the
first place.

Most people initialize Quicklisp in their startup file. After using
the lisp image for a while, they may wish to load a system and
discover that the system requires asdf3. So they load asdf3. And then
everything is borked. It may be difficult even for an experienced user
to discover what is wrong, much less a casual user, and next to
impossible for a newcomer.

In the manual I didn't see any of the caveats you mention about the
central registry. It says that asdf can be upgraded on the fly, and
that's what people will expect. They don't expect that upgrading will
bork the lisp image for some reason unknown to them.

The quick and dirty workaround I mentioned is not something that would
be part of any real code, just something a user could do to get things
unborked again, that is, to enable Quicklisp to load again.

I don't want to use *central-registry*. I'm not advocating using
*central-registry*. I don't use *centry-registry* myself, except
indirectly through Quicklisp. I am not insisting on weird upgrades.
All I want to do is fix problems that end-users encounter.