Plans for ASDF 3.3

Stelian Ionescu sionescu at cddr.org
Wed Apr 26 03:33:58 UTC 2017

> Dear Robert, dear Lispers,
>
> I'd like to know what are the release plans will be for 3.3.
>
> My branch for proper phase separation is basically ready to be merged,
> but I'd like to see how compatible it is with next month's Quicklisp
> before I can recommend releasing it upon the masses.
>
> Note that the branch is called "plan" because it started as a
> refactoring how asdf builds its plan, but the changes run deeper than
> that — 970 lines were added or modified all over, not counting those
> moved around — that's double the number of lines of the original ASDF.
>
> Additional questions: should the syntax-control branch be worked on
> for 3.3.0? 3.2.2? 3.3.1? 3.4.0? It's a low-hanging fruit to making
> ASDF a more robust build tool that supports working with non-trivial
> syntax extension.
>
> PS: Are any (preferrably younger) lispers interested in becoming
> proficient at ASDF maintenance? There are plenty of TODO items of all
> sizes and all difficulties that could use some love.

Hello Fare,

I think your message is missing a bit of context:

* what's wrong with the previous way of performing phase separation ? Why does the new branch make it proper ? What are the day-to-day consequences for ASDF users ?
* what does the syntax-control branch do ?

--
Stelian Ionescu a.k.a. fe[nl]ix