Needed change in governance

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Fri Sep 16 17:23:27 UTC 2016

I can no longer be the maintainer of ASDF unless I gain some control
over the contents of the repository.

Right now, I am just reacting to changes other people are making. This
is ok if I am in the loop, but if other developers are simply wading
into the repository and committing changes that I have no idea are
coming, then I cannot do my job.

The last straw for me was last night's 3.1.7.23 commits, which
completely blind-sided me and also invalidated work-in-progress I had
outstanding.

So, we need to either

1. develop some informal means of clearing coming commits through me,
perhaps using this mailing list;

2. lock out other developers and change the main repository only through
merge requests (this is not my favored alternative, as it requires more
busy work on my part); or

3. get a new maintainer.

I decline to continue under the status quo.