clisp support [Re: Pushed ASDF 3.1.7.8: fixes for CLISP, etc.]

Sam Steingold sds at gnu.org
Fri Sep 2 02:57:27 UTC 2016

> * Robert Goldman <ectbyqzna at fvsg.arg> [2016-09-01 18:38:12 -0500]:
>
> On 9/1/16 Sep 1 -6:15 PM, Sam Steingold wrote:
>>> * Robert Goldman <ectbyqzna at fvsg.arg> [2016-09-01 12:34:11 -0500]:
>>>
>>> Even worse, AFAICT clisp does not make its version number available to
>>> the lisp context.
>>
>> CLISP, like all the other implementations striving for ANSI CL
>> compliance, exports `lisp-implementation-version'
>> (http://clhs.lisp.se/Body/f_lisp_i.htm).
>>
>> However, testing version numbers is not the best way to achieve
>> cross-release compatibility; it is much better to test for specific
>> behavior.
>
> True, but this is not for code -- it's for regression testing.  For
> regression-testing, I think it's fine if we say "on clisp, if the
> version is less than or equal to 2.49, disable this test."
>
> Until now we have just been saying "on clisp, disable this test."
>
> Unfortunately, since I believe that clisp in git has not been bumped
> beyond 2.49, reading LISP-IMPLEMENTATION-VERSION may not solve our problem.

lisp-implementation-version does provide the information you seek.
the released version is 2.49, the development is 2.49+.
we use hg, not git.

https://sourceforge.net/p/clisp/clisp/ci/default/tree/version.sh

> Indeed, on windows, I must have binary releases, since I do not have a
> build environment for Windows.

If you wish, you can request a clisp windows binary on the clisp-devel
mailing list.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 16.04 (xenial) X 11.0.11803000
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://openvotingconsortium.org