Recent disappearance of asdf:bundle-system.

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Sun Oct 16 15:09:28 UTC 2016

On 10/16/16 Oct 16 -1:31 AM, Mark Evenson wrote:

> On 2016/9/11 17:09, Faré wrote:
>> 1- While the trivial convenience function bundle-system was removed,
>> the underlying functionality still exists. The function was ill-named
>> legacy of dubious value. Do ABCL users actually use this function as
>> such?
>
> [Sorry for the late reply]
>
> As far as I know, no one actively uses BUNDLE-SYSTEM for ABCL, instead
> using the [ASDF-JAR ABCL contrib][1], which allows a system to
> (optionally recursively) package all dependencies of an ASDF system into
> a single binary artifact (a jar file containing all the code).
>
> If I understand things conceptually correctly, if their were a stable
> BUNDLE-SYSTEM, we would move the code for ASDF-JAR to use those interfaces.
>
> [1]: http://abcl.org/trac/browser/trunk/abcl/contrib/asdf-jar

So BUNDLE-SYSTEM has been restored, but the comment about its
deprecation suggests that we should revisit its arglist to make it
useful, if we are not going to remove it.

TBH, I don't understand what bundle-system is supposed to do, versus,
for example LOAD-SYSTEM.  There seem to be so many different ways to
bundle and kinds of bundle that this function seems too ambiguous.

The function is not documented, and reading the code doesn't help me (as
someone who doesn't routinely use bundle ops): it defers to
DELIVER-ASD-OP, but that operation is documented as:

"produce an asd file for delivering the system as a single fasl"

which suggests that it makes a .asd file, and doesn't bundle anything at
all.

So.... help?