ASDF status for 3.1.7 release

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 17:02:48 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Jens K. Loewe <jens.k.loewe at gmail.com> wrote:
> What was the precompilation step?

Building a asdf-tools binary, which has to be done while asdf is working.

> In general, I'd propose a Perl script for everything that involves automatic
> file processing (it would even be easier to port it to Windows then).

That's what I was trying to get away from. Not only is installing perl
(and all of cygwin) a pain on Windows, maintaining a fragile mix of
bash, perl, sed was more than I was willing to do. Despite all its
warts, the lisp-based asdf-tools solution is so much better than perl
could ever be.

The warts are mostly related to bootstrap issues when you're modifying
asdf itself.

I understand and respect why Robert doesn't want to deal with
asdf-tools. When I spoke of "allergy" I didn't mean that it was
irrational and without cause, but that as the result Robert was averse
to making more attempts with it.

Hopefully, whoever does Windows testing doesn't have to face as much
trouble as Robert did, because they won't be modifying asdf much, but
mostly just checking that asdf keeps running, which it should — the
portability layer is pretty stable and though we've tweaked
configuration paths recently that shouldn't affect testing much if at
all (unhappily, it is mostly untested).

Love doesn't scale. — Eric S. Raymond