Using ASDF as part of an interactive app framework - storing components in memory?

Andrew Sengul ml at imagegardenphoto.com
Thu Jul 21 22:47:05 UTC 2016

Hi Fare, Robert and Dave,

Thanks for your suggestions, I read Drew's paper and his chunks system
is close to the kind of thing I'm looking to implement. I also looked at
cells, Garnet and Gendl. I downloaded Garnet and have been looking
through the KR code; Robert, is there anything else you would suggest if
I'm going to try using KR?

I'm going to use ASDF as the basis for this project at least to start
with. One of my goals is for the systems I'm building to be usable as
portable software modules, so implementing them as ASDF packages is a
natural choice. At least at the outset, I don't have a problem with
ASDF's model being filesystem-based; it's fine for the components of
each system to be defined in the form of files. I think requiring that a
file be saved whenever a change is made to a component is inefficient,
but that can be left for now. My eventual goal will probably be to
combine a constraint-solving system with ASDF; perhaps chunks can be
implemented as part of an ASDF extension.
I've got the chunks code but it doesn't compile for me with SBCL, so
more work will be needed on that front.

Any thoughts you have on this direction for the project are welcome. Thanks,

Andrew