uiop parse-native-namestring portability?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 01:00:50 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:
> On 1/7/16 Jan 7 -10:34 AM, Faré wrote:
>> Good luck convincing 7 active implementations to agree on how to parse that.
>> If you know the path is relative and you want portability,
>> try uiop:parse-unix-namestring.
>> But even then, things get ugly when you reach wildcard characters.
>
> I guess I'm not sure I understand.  Why is it necessary to get the
> active implementations to agree on how to parse this?  Isn't it an
> alternative to interpret the substring "." using
> *default-pathname-defaults* and ".." using *default-pathname-defaults*
> and :relative :back?
>
> I'm sure you understand this far better than I do, so perhaps there's
> something that makes this a non-starter....

The CLHS leaves pathname parsing totally non-portable.
*Some* implementations also have some primitive to parse native namestrings,
and UIOP exposes that in a semi-portable way to users.
I see that ADSF 3.1.6.8 only had recipes for SBCL and CCL —
I just added some recipes for parse-native-namestring for CMUCL and SCL,
that mirror the already present recipes for native-namestring.
I welcome patches to better support other implementations.

Please try 3.1.6.9 which also fixes lp#1531887.

Justice is not concerned with the results of the various transactions
but only with whether the transactions themselves are fair.
        — F.A. Hayek, "Law, Legislation and Liberty", I.6.j