Question about UIOP: Any reason GET-TEMPORARY-FILE couldn't be exported?

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Tue Aug 23 02:46:34 UTC 2016

On 8/22/16 Aug 22 -7:13 PM, Faré wrote:
> I'm not opposed to renaming, but for some context, the
> get-temporary-file was meant to contrast with a (hypothetical)
> get-temporary-directory, just like mktemp and mkdtemp are related. I
> never implemented the get-temporary-directory variant, because (1) the
> use case didn't appear in asdf itself, (2) the function wasn't present
> in the other lisp libraries I wanted to obsolete, and (3) the absence
> of proper umask treatment by the Lisp variants.

This is, of course, a good point.  But the shell doesn't have the same
kind of pathname/string distinction that CL has.  It was trying to avoid
problems with that that led me to suggest a renaming.

This is one of the places where I wish CL would do a little more
compile-time checking for me.  Having to wait til runtime to find I gave
a function a pathname where it could only accept a namestring is bloody
irritating.

Best,