extending uiop/run-program

Elias Pipping pipping.elias at icloud.com
Tue Aug 2 16:52:56 UTC 2016

> On 02 Aug 2016, at 00:06, Elias Pipping <pipping.elias at icloud.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Robert,
>
>> On 01 Aug 2016, at 04:25, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:
>>
>> If you were to move your work on uiop:run-program to a long-lived topic
>> branch, I could test it on a wide variety of implementations on Mac and
>> Linux.
>
> Sure, that sounds good. I’ve requested an account on
>
>  https://gitlab.common-lisp.net
>
> for this purpose.

The branch is now up at

  https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/epipping/asdf/tree/run-program

with the first bug fix. I’ve also pushed to another branch

  https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/epipping/asdf/tree/run-program-messy-with-rebasing

the name of which is supposed to convey how messy it could potentially be (and how
I might `push —force` to it). I’ve added a test script (to the messy branch only) that’s
not currently connected in any way to the existing testing infrastructure. It serves me
as a survey tool, since a test failure at this point can mean either a problem with
run-program or with my understanding of it (I didn’t know about ccl’s

  (with-open-file (… :sharing :lock))

until yesterday e.g. and there’s an odd issue with string streams under cmucl that I wrote to
cmucl-help to about because I’m not sure if cmucl is doing something wrong or I am).

The output currently looks like this for me:

  https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/epipping/asdf/commit/3e92222f97dddb2a6e838b64082648d02a54cfaa

A quick glance reveals that clisp stands out as being particularly badly supported by
run-program and that there’s an error with run-program on cmucl (the one I mentioned
a few lines earlier). Among the tests that are skipped, there’s some where run-program
has asserts in place to catch combinations of parameters that aren’t supported by the
underlying implementation but also some where run-program fails to catch problems and
the implementation either generates an error or silently misbehaves (both are marked
with FIXMEs in the test script).

Elias