extending uiop/run-program

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 15:04:05 UTC 2016

I considered using PowerShell indeed, but concluded against it in the
end: PowerShell
is better than CMD.exe for about everything. But, putting aside the fact
that it's only recently universally available (1) it's also very slow to
start, which would add a lot of latency to run-program, even though (2) we
are not using any of the functionality of the shell, beside starting a
program, which CMD does well enough, and (3) on many implementations, CMD
is what is used anyway, and adding one more layer of indirection can only
introduce discrepancy and bugs.

What exactly do you want to use from PowerShell? If you want to
specifically call PowerShell, doesn't the current interface already slow
you to do it?

Unless of course you mean using it for scripts that come with ASDF, but
there aren't any except the shims to run asdf-tools.