Is it possible to load multiple versions of the same system?

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Fri Apr 29 13:10:32 UTC 2016

Eran Gat, if I remember correctly, had an implementation of lexically scoped packages. That would provide the capability for having multiple versions of the same system live in one lisp image, but would require rewriting the systems in question and their consumers.

TBH, this seems to me like a pretty esoteric use case: I'm curious about how and when you encounter it.

If you're interested in cool language features, that's one thing, but I can't imagine as an engineering matter that you couldn't hack around the few times this would happen.

Note that there's a less demanding item -- having ASDF be able to manage a set of libraries with multiple versions, without being able to load different versions of one library into a single lisp image. This might occur more frequently -- e.g. I could imagine systems that are bug-compatible with different versions of CFFI.

Cheers