Spurious failure in SBCL on windows

Faré fare at tunes.org
Tue Sep 29 16:39:49 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:
> When I run test all on Windows, the SBCL tests fail in a spurious way.
>
> I get an error that lisp couldn't rename f:\asdf\build\dir1\foo0.asd to
> f:\asdf\build\dir1\foo1.asd.bak
>
> AFAICT this is because CREATE-ASD-FILES in test-configuration.script
> uses :if-exists :rename-and-delete when it's creating the .asd files.
>
> Is this actually necessary?  Could we replace this with :supersede, or
> will something go awry?  For now I'm experimenting with that
> replacement, so please just LMK if this is A Bad Thing.

I didn't write that test and don't remember it, so do whatever works.
I have memories of having to play with :rename-and-delete vs :supersede
in the context of windows to make some tests work, with opposite
results depending on the implementation and the underlying filesystem
(e.g. windows native or NFS or VM emulated, etc.).

Maybe it's simpler if you could simply (delete-file-if-exists ...)
before you create.

I am an atheist, thank God!