Understanding UIOP/RUN-PROGRAM

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 15:34:36 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 11:03 AM, Mark Evenson <evenson at panix.com> wrote:
> I wanted to confirm with ASDF developers that as far as I can tell from
> wrangling with UIOP:RUN-PROGRAM, it isn't going to do what I want
> because there is no "asynchronous" mode.
UIOP:RUN-PROGRAM itself is synchronous only, but its internal
UIOP::%RUN-PROGRAM is asynchronous on platforms that support it...
which does not include ABCL at this time, but does include CCL and SBCL.
The interface is under-documented, and which exact subset of features
it supports depends on the underlying implementation;
but obviously it works well enough to portably implement the synchronous
UIOP:RUN-PROGRAM.

> If my understanding is correct, the UIOP maintainers may wish to
> emphasize the synchronous nature of UIOP:RUN-PROGRAM in its docstring.

I'll update the docstrings.

If you only care about CCL and SBCL, you can use UIOP::%RUN-PROGRAM.

If you want a portable solution that requires an external library, try
IOLIB/OS:CREATE-PROCESS.

The liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box,
the jury-box, and the cartridge-box.
        — Frederick Douglass