ASDF 3.1.5 test suite issues on ACL (8.2 and 10.0 GM)

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Wed Sep 16 15:46:18 UTC 2015

On 9/15/15 Sep 15 -4:31 PM, Faré wrote:
>> However, whereas using LISP=ccl as the driver correctly invokes buildi.exe,
>> using LISP=allegro as the driver leads to alisp.exe being called,
>> which is not what I wanted.
>> I haven't investigated why.
>>
> That was because defining LISP=allegro resulted in exporting ALLEGRO=
> which wasn't defined with LISP=ccl, and that ALLEGRO overrides the
> mechanism that in lisp-invocation calls buildi.exe instead of
> alisp.exe.
>
> If you (Kevin, or any Allegro/Windows user) considers that it's a bug
> worth fixing rather than a feature, please propose an API as to how
> lisp-invocation should detect the correct way to invoke alisp.

Our test scripts have created an a morass of environment variables for
invoking lisp that are very difficult to understand.  The cascade from
the makefile through the test scripts to the lisp-invocation library
makes this particularly confusing.

I think it would be worth trying to overhaul this, but the first step is
understanding what's going on in lisp-invocation.  I'm not entirely sure
if this library is required for correct ASDF functioning, or only for
testing.  I think many of the bundle operations, while they may not
officially require lisp-invocation, *assume* it, because they assume a
portable means of using the various bundles that are built with ASDF now.

I regret the inclusion of the bundle operations as substantially
complicating ASDF and its maintenance.  OTOH, ASDF really didn't support
the "hosted-on-C" flavors of CL without the bundle operations.

I would like to see them disabled and untested on conventional CL
implementations: I don't think the burden on ASDF maintenance is
justified by value to users.

Best,