ASDF 3.1.5 test suite issues on ACL (8.2 and 10.0 GM)

Kevin Layer layer at franz.com
Fri Sep 11 16:55:21 UTC 2015

Hi, all.  I had an spr with Faré, but I figure it's better to have
this discussion on asdf-devel.

First, as Faré pointed out, ACL was releasing non-release versions of
ASDF.  I've rectified that, and I will be using the `release' branch
from now on.

Second, I can't build 3.1.5 on Windows.  See below.

Third, I would really love to include the ASDF tests as part of the
ACL test suite.  It would have prevented so many headaches.  To that
end, I see these problems:

1. There are reported errors, even on ACL 8.2.  I can send the
details, but I'm sure someone else can reproduce this.  I used

  ALLEGRO=.../alisp make t u l=allegro

in a clone of the asdf repo on the release branch.  I used an 8.2
alisp, which was not in my PATH, btw.  I don't have any lisps in my
PATH (because I want to explicitly choose the version when I run it).

2. The symbolic link issue.  The test suite doesn't run at all when
the source files are available via a symbolic links.  I'll be happy
to get some workaround (a file loaded before the tests start so I can
set *resolve-symlinks* to nil?).

As for the Windows build problem:

;;; Compiling file sys:;contrib;asdf.lisp
;;;   (C:\src\scm\acl82.32\src\cl\src\contrib\asdf.lisp)
; While compiling (:top-level-form "asdf.lisp" 321294):
Error (from error): Invalid pathname #P"cache":
                    Expected an absolute pathname

Once I can build a release version of ASDF, I'll put it out as a patch
on 8.2, 9.0 and 10.0.

Once the testing issues are resolved, I will immediately add it to the
test suite.

Thanks.

Kevin