UIOP feature idea...

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 18:23:41 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 12:14 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wIrote:
> What about adding a better FILE-LENGTH function to UIOP?
>
> I was looking at Peter Seibel's discussion of FILE-LENGTH in PCL.  PiTA,
> and certainly unsuitable for use if one wants to write scripts in CL.
>
> What about making UIOP:FILE-LENGTH be generic and take either strings
> (filenames), pathnames, or streams as argument?

Such a function probably fits in the library, though a bit less so if
it is *not* used by ASDF.

Please don't use a name that clashes with the CL package. The ASDF and
UIOP tradition seems to suggest such a function should be named
FILE-LENGTH*.

I believe :element-type '(unsigned-byte 8) should be the default.

I can review such a change that you write, or, if you're confident,
you can just push the change and I can fix anything I don't like about
it.

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs
when it's free. — P.J. O'Rourke