Suggestions for procedure going forward

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 16:50:26 UTC 2015

    Far> On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 12:55 AM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:
    >> On 11/18/15 Nov 18 -11:33 PM, Steven Núñez wrote:
    >>> With git you can, and usually do, have many branches, including personal ones. The pull request will be against a specific branch. I only read this message of the thread, so hope I'm answering the right question. Github has some good tutorials.
    >>
    >> Well the question isn't really about having many branches.  The question
    >> is what happens when you have stable and development branches, and you
    >> want to "jump" the stable branch to mark retiring an old stable version
    >> and starting a new one?  Doesn't that involve a nasty merge or rebase?
    >>
    >> I can do some research, but I was hoping someone knew the answer....
    >>
    Far> My bet is that they use versioned names for branch, and so never have to jump.

    Far> There is no branch called "stable", there is just the 3.1 branch, the
    Far> 3.2 branch, etc.

That's basically how I've always done it.  Create a branch-3.1,
branch-3.2 to develop the branches, and tag them at various points for
3.1.0, 3.1.1, etc.

Master is always the current development/unstable branch.  Various
topic branches for new ideas or new features are created.

And then merge/cherry-pick the necessary changes to keep branch-3.1
with the necessary changes.

And I never delete the release development branches; they should stay
forever so you can go back in time. (I never delete any branch, but
that's just me.)

--
Ray