Finding depended-upon systems

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Wed Nov 18 16:58:06 UTC 2015

On 11/18/15 Nov 18 -10:47 AM, Raymond Toy wrote:

>     >> Once in a long while I've wanted to get a list of all of the source
>     >> files, or the fasl files, a dependency graph (tree?).  Mostly just to
>     >> see what the system thinks it has and what I think it should have.
>     >>
>     Fare> There is a contrib/ directory in asdf repository, but its downside is
>     Fare> that having the asdf/ repository in your source-registry means you're
>     Fare> getting more than you might want.
>
> Oh, I never noticed that before.  The files therein are (currently)
> tiny compared to asdf.lisp.  These might be useful to include with
> asdf in cmucl....  But it would be nice if at least a subset of them
> were officially supported as part of asdf in some way.

I'm with Ray on this one.  Code that you need to debug your use of ASDF
needs to come with ASDF, always, not be an optional add-on.

ASDF has grown in features, portability, and performance, but also
opacity.  There are a lot more complex and difficult-to-inspect data
structures in it now to support things like caching, and they work well,
but if you get your configuration wrong, it can be very difficult to debug.

So one of my priorities going forward is to support better inspection of
ASDF's state.

cheers,