Metadata check [WAS Re: How would you feel...]

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu May 28 20:33:30 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 9:01 AM, Robert P. Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:
> If someone would suggest a list of keywords for the licenses, we could
> certainly incorporate that in some fashion.  But it would complicate any
> introspection code.  Presumably that code would be taking the metadata
> and formatting it for the user.  So it would now have to consider the
> possibility of keywords, which should be translated, and probably lists
> of keywords (per Fare's email), as well as strings.  That would
> complicate the work of anyone trying to make use of the code.
>
> Now, if there was something where someone might want to say:
>
> (find :gnu-gpl (mapcar #'asdf:component-license my-systems))
>
> [actually, that wouldn't work because of the possibility
> component-license is list valued]
>
> and do something with the results, then it might be worth making such an
> effort.  But I haven't seen any "pull" for such a feature in ASDF.

Whatever you, Xach or anyone comes up with, the processor can be
published as a library asdf-metadata, at which point others don't have
to reinvent it.

Of course, having a common implementation is no excuse for not having
a good specification. On the other hand, it's ASDF we're talking
about. Ahem.

It's better to know nothing that to know what ain't so. — Josh Billings