How would you feel...

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Thu May 28 20:02:58 UTC 2015

Andreas Davour wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2015, Faré wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>> My SBCL is at 3.1.3.  I think 3.1.4 is solid enough that it should be
>>> updated there.
>>>
>> I've bugged SBCL hackers many time since last october, to no avail.
>
> But remember hwo it looks like from the outside, though.
>
> You are changing the third number, which will look like a patch to a
> minor revision. They probably wont bother with updating (if it's any
> amount of work) unless they see 3.2 or 4.0 is my guess. That's how I
> would think.

Actually, if I was them, I wouldn't bother updating until I saw 3.2.1! ;-)

But seriously, waiting until the first bugfixes show up doesn't work
well unless *somebody* runs the initial release and tests it in actual
day-to-day use.

It would be nice to figure out a way that ASDF could work nicely with
the implementations so that implementors have an easy option to use the
latest ASDF patch version day-to-day and see how well it plays with the
latest version of the CL implementation.

Cheers,