Windows and Lisp scripting [Re: Test failures on Windows]

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 01:03:08 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 3:23 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:
> On 6/23/15 Jun 23 -2:15 PM, Robert Goldman wrote:
>> On 6/23/15 Jun 23 -1:46 PM, Dave Cooper wrote:
>
>> Is there no way to redirect the output of ACL on Windows?  Must it
>> always go into its own console window (or be lost altogether if it's run
>> without a console window)?  That seems deeply undesirable....
>
> BTW, if there's no way to redirect lisp output, doesn't that represent
> the kiss of death for the minimakefile approach of scripting (almost)
> everything in Common Lisp?

Well, worse comes to worst, you can still tell the lisp subprocess, on
its command-line, to explicitly (setf *standard-output* (open ...))
That will make things harder, but not impossible.

> A related question: isn't building ASDF the most challenging imaginable
> application for scripting in Common Lisp?  I.e., we have to invent our
> own build system for the scripting because we are scripting to build
> ASDF. For almost any other scripting application, our scripts could rely
> on ASDF and UIOP....

Yes, asdf (and cl-launch) are the ultimate exercises in bootstrapping
Common Lisp software portably. The hard part is mostly done, but it
was much harder than anticipated, and there are obviously still bugs
on Windows.

I used to like the government, but that was before it got big and popular.