The dictatorship of versioning

Didier Verna didier at lrde.epita.fr
Tue Jun 16 15:24:47 UTC 2015

Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:

> So what happens when the programmer updates the human readable version
> and not the canonical version, or vice versa?  Wouldn't it be better
> to functionally derive one of these two forms from the other?  E.g.,
> (defgeneric formatted-version (component version-spec))

  Probably. The only advantage I see in PB's suggestion is for people
  actually reading the system definition's code. But then, don't do
  that. Use Declt to create the reference manual ;-)

> I am also disinclined to add something like the proposed

  +1

--
My new Jazz CD entitled "Roots and Leaves" is out!
Check it out: http://didierverna.com/records/roots-and-leaves.php

Lisp, Jazz, Aïkido: http://www.didierverna.info