The dictatorship of versioning

Didier Verna didier at lrde.epita.fr
Tue Jun 16 12:56:06 UTC 2015

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb at informatimago.com> wrote:

> Alternatively, we could have:
>
> (defsystem :foo
>    :version-major 1
>    :version-minor 0
>    :version-release 42
>    :human-readable-version-string "1.0.gamma.XLII/pescadero:whasaaaaa")
>
> or:
>
> (defsystem :foo
>    :version (1 0 42)
>    :human-readable-version-string "1.0.gamma.XLII/pescadero:whasaaaaa")

  Actually, I had something like that in mind. With this idea of
  allowing individual systems to handle their own versioning logic, I
  intended to put something like '(1 3 :beta 4 "Release Name") in the
  :version slot.

  A human-readable version is different from a version specifier. ASDF
  already does something shaky in this regard, even for its simplistic
  versioning scheme: because it normalizes versions into strings, it
  needs to provide UNPARSE-VERSION! Yuck.

  So if ASDF (or its users) insists on have human readable version
  strings, I wouldn't mind systems having both :version and
  :version-string.

--
My new Jazz CD entitled "Roots and Leaves" is out!
Check it out: http://didierverna.com/records/roots-and-leaves.php

Lisp, Jazz, Aïkido: http://www.didierverna.info