Issues with new testing scripts

Kambiz Darabi darabi at m-creations.com
Mon Dec 28 15:27:41 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 2015-12-19 23:52 CET, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:

> I'm having two issues with the new testing scripts:
>
> [...]
>
> 2.  This was just a nuisance:  three new submodules have been added, and
> "git submodule init" must be re-run when that happens.
>
> I have no idea why the git maintainers thought that a call to git
> submodule update should quietly fail to update un-initialized submodules
> (fail to update yes, QUIETLY fail to update, no).  But going forward we
> need to trumpet any changes to the submodules because of this attribute
> of git....

This is the reason why I prefer 'git subtree' to 'git submodule': with
subtree the content of the ext/... directories become an integral part
of the parent repo. A simple git pull/git fetch is enough to receive the
dependencies at the correct version.

At the same time, it is possible to 'split out' the sub-repo, e. g. to
push a patch to upstream.

Kambiz