user-homedir-pathname on cmucl

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Sat Dec 19 23:00:49 UTC 2015

On 12/19/15 Dec 19 -2:32 PM, Raymond Toy wrote:

> Not sure how this ever worked with cmucl, but user-homedir-pathname on
> cmucl returns #p"home:", where "home:" is a search-list. In some
> cases, it looks like asdf is trying to create the cache directory and
> end up with a path like
>
> P"home:.cache/common-lisp/cmu-21a__21a_unicode_-macosx-x86/**/*.*.~*~"
>
> but this confuses other parts of asdf and cmucl when trying to run
> pathname-match-p.
>
> Perhaps the best thing is to make asdf us a custom
> user-homedir-pathname like what is done with other lisps.  An
> appropriate version would be
>
> (defun user-homedir-pathname ()
>   (first (ext:search-list (cl:user-homedir-pathname))))

Hi, Ray --

I will be happy to make this modification.

Can you provide a test that will barf when using the current, incorrect
form of user-homedir-pathname?

When I run cmucl 20f, I don't have any trouble with the current ASDF,
and it makes files inside
~/.cache/common-lisp/cmu-20f__20f_unicode_-macosx-x86/ just fine.

So if you could give a concrete example of how this is confusing ASDF
and CMUCL, I'd appreciate it.

cheers,