cl-launch 4.1.1.1

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 04:58:49 UTC 2015

(Only tangentially related to asdf; apologies if this is noise; please
suggest a better channel.)

I just pushed cl-launch 4.1.1.1, which minimally implements support
for a --dispatched-entry feature that's mostly compatible with Xach's
buildapp. Differences are:

1- like cl-launch in general, it works on all command-line Lisp
implementations supported by ASDF,
  not just on SBCL and CCL

2- I don't do as much error checking as Xach; in case of conflict,
last one wins.

3- I accept UIOP-style function designators for the main function, not
just symbol designators,
  see uiop:ensure-function.

Background: I'm more and more replacing my shell-scripts with CL
scripts, but the startup time of a script can be very high if we load
from fasl every time, even when no compilation is needed. On the other
hand, dumping one image per script is expensive, with the smallest CL
implementation (CLISP) taking about 16MB for every script. Therefore,
I implemented --dispatched-entry in a way mostly compatible with
buildapp. I can then dump a single image for all my scripts, and they
start super fast, evaluate super fast, and only occupy a few tens of
megabytes once.

--dispatched-entry is implemented as a thin layer that delegates
everything to a small new library call cl-launch-dispatch, to be
distributed with cl-launch. That means it will actually slow things
down a tiny bit if you use it without dumping an image, but won't slow
things down at all if you don't use it and don't dump an image.

Enjoy!

Democracy is a religion too. It's the worship of jackals by jackasses.
        — H. L. Mencken