[Asdf-devel] Wanted: Debian packager

Kambiz Darabi darabi at m-creations.net
Sun May 25 07:34:10 UTC 2014

Hello,

I wrote a message with detailed questions some days ago, which I
obviously didn't send and I also don't find in my drafts folder :(

So, sorry for the delay and here I go again:

On 2014-05-20 20:57 CEST, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:

> I found that this magic command helps:
>
> 1- edit files in debian/ and debian/ only ... if you need to patch
> things beside packaging,
>   it's going to be more complex than I know how to deal with.
> 2- commit them, maybe commit --amend if no one else has seen your
> previous attempts...
> 3-
> git clean -xfd ; git-buildpackage --git-debian-branch=release
> --git-upstream-tag="%(version)s" --git-tag --git-retag
> --git-force-create --git-ignore-branch

I looked at the changes in minimakefile branch and tried to follow the
steps you outline in the (not yet implemented) release function. I
assume that that function is meant to automate all of the release
process and not only the debian packaging, so some of my questions below
might be silly in this light, but I will ask though.

> (defun release ()
>   "Release the code (not implemented)"
>   #| RELEASE or PUSH checklist:
> make test-all

Which implementations do you test with before uploading a new package?
Which version of those implementations do you use?

> defaultLisps = ccl clisp sbcl ecl ecl_bytecodes cmucl abcl scl allegro lispworks allegromodern gcl xcl mkcl

I got as far as abcl (1.3.1, the current release), but the test hangs
for hours and although abcl is described as 'damn slow' in run-tests.sh,
I thought this might be a real issue.

What would be the recommended next step? Can I run the tests with higher
verbosity? If I cannot resolve the problem myself, do I contact the
maintainers?

> make test-load-systems s=fare-all

I assume fare-all is one of your libs, but couldn't find it although I
searched a bit.

> make bump v=3.0
> edit debian/changelog # RELEASE only...

I noticed that debian/changelog is very detailed and contains much more
information than I could deduce from the commit messages. Is it edited
by the devs during the development cycle? If not, I hope it wouldn't be
my duty to come up with such detailed and knowledgeable information
about the changes.

> git commit
> git tag 3.0 # for example ...
> make debian-package

I had to install:

fare-mop
named-readtables
optima
fare-quasiquote
inferior-shell
fare-utils

Would it possible/desirable to have them as git submodule or git subtree
in the repo for the build to be independent of the versions of the
dependencies?

The current version of master in version.lisp-expr is 3.1.2.3. I changed
it to 3.1.2 to avoid the error

> Debian version 2:3.1.2-3 doesn't match asdf version 3.1.2.3

but unfortunately, I get the following backtrace:

> ./bin/asdf-builder debian-package master
> building package version 2:3.1.2.3-1
> Unhandled SB-INT:SIMPLE-PROGRAM-ERROR in thread #<SB-THREAD:THREAD
>                                                   "main thread" RUNNING
>                                                    {1002A8B3B3}>:
>   unknown &KEY argument: :DIRECTORY
>
> Backtrace for: #<SB-THREAD:THREAD "main thread" RUNNING {1002A8B3B3}>
> 0: (RUN (GIT-BUILDPACKAGE (--GIT-DEBIAN-BRANCH= "master") (--GIT-UPSTREAM-TAG= "%(version)s") --GIT-TAG --GIT-RETAG --GIT-FORCE-CREATE --GIT-IGNORE-BRANCH) :DIRECTORY #P"/opt/repo/asdf/" :SHOW T) [more,optional]

> I've uploaded a new package 2:3.1.2-2 at
> http://mentors.debian.net/package/cl-asdf after a few attempts.

You set version.lisp-expr to 3.1.2 manually before building the package?

> In case of difficulties, #debian-mentors on irc.oftc.net is here to help.
> Finally, not only am I in the process of getting away from ASDF,
> I also am getting away from Debian: I'm not using it at home anymore
> (I'm a convert to NixOS),
> and at work I'm using Ubuntu boxes but they are mostly work-managed.

I would probably set up a debian vm to have a clean env for building the
package.

I still have questions regarding the release workflow but for the
moment, I'd like to get the technical part straight.

Thank you

Kambiz